The Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary has filled a few slots on its Advisory Council. As you can see from the list below, there are a few familiar names now on the Advisory Council:
• Citizen-at-Large: James Eldon Coon
• Conservation: Barbara Maka‘ala Ka‘aumoana
• Lanai: Solomon Kaho‘ohalahala
• Molokai: Walter Ritte
• Ocean Recreation: Douglass Cole
• Research Alternate: Mark Henry Deakos
• Youth: John Bradley Taschner
• Youth Alternate: Clarissa Marie Honeker
Hey, Sol Kaho‘ohalahala is back! Haven’t seen him since that whole unpleasantness surrounding his voter registration (he claimed Lanai; the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled Lahaina) back in 2008 when he got elected to the Maui County Council. In any case, it’s good to see him back in some kind of public job.
“Serving in a volunteer capacity, the council members meet several times per year in public sessions, and represent a variety of local user groups, as well as the general public,” states a Jan. 8 Sanctuary press release. “Non-governmental sanctuary advisory council primary and alternate members serve two-year terms.”
For more information, check out Hawaiihumpbackwhale.noaa.gov.
Photo of Humpback Whale Sanctuary headquarters: Wikimedia Commons