Oh, what a magical time it is. Here we are in the couple weeks of January–the nights have gotten a bit chilly, the whales are starting to splash around and the state Legislature is preparing to go into session. The actual sausage-making doesn’t start until Jan. 20, but that doesn’t mean we can’t go rummaging around the Legislature’s online attic, looking for interesting stuff that got stuffed up there in the last days of 2015.
Like this report, transmitted to the Legislature on Dec. 22, 2015, which is whimsically titled State of Hawaii Department of Accounting and General Services Annual Report of Claims and Lawsuits Arbitrated, Compromised, or Settled for $10,000 or less for Fiscal Year 2014-2015. Okay, so maybe the title needed some trimming, but fear not: the meat of the report is juicy and delicious.
As the title makes clear, this is just a 30-page list of all the claims (of up to $10,000) against the State of Hawaii (some of which were a few years old) that were paid off during the last fiscal year. The report lists 174 such claims for a total of $239,055.18 (the fact that the report shows the state paid out $210,431.53 indicates that filing a claim may be a wise decision). Most of the claims are pretty routine–pothole damage to cars, lost property, etc.–but some stand out (my favorite is the very first claim listed in the report: $1,189.59 to Justin Agustin because “On 05-28-14 an inmate’s denture was lost after a shakedown at Oahu Community Correctional Center;” also, until this report I had no idea that hearing aids were so expensive).
Anyway, our reading of the report showed 16 claims that took place on Maui:
- ALLSTATE INSURANCE COMPANY V. STATE OF HAWAII: “On 8-24-11 a vehicle hit a stop sign on Hana Highway.” ($1,640.17)
- BATCHELDER, WILLIAM: “On 03-11-15 a claimant’s hearing aid was lost at Maui Memorial Medical Center.” ($1,575.00)
- BURNS, NICHOLAS DONALD V. SHORES, JUSTIN: “On 12-17-12 and 04-30-13 an inmate was injured due to retaliation and assault at Maui Community Correctional Center.” ($1,200.00)
- CARBO, SARA: “On 02-06-15 a patient’s property was lost at Maui Medical Hospital.” ($12.51)
- CORPUEL, SEAN: “On 07-11-12 a vehicle was damaged by a rock propelled from a weed whacker on Haleakala Highway.” ($1,192.68)
- DAVIS, RYAN: “On 06-16-14 a vehicle was damaged by a rock on State Highway 377.” ($7,004.70)
- FEY, SHELLEY ET AL. VS. STATE OF HAWAII ET AL.: “On 08-09-09 the plaintiff was injured by a boat’s propeller at Makena Landing where there is no harbor.” ($10,000.00)
- GUERRA, RAYMOND: “On 08-12-14 an inmate’s store order was lost at Maui Community Correctional Center.” ($37.84)
- HIGA, SACHIKO: “On 12-26-14 a patient’s hearing aids were lost at Kula Hospital.” ($4,465.53)
- KULA HARDWARE & NURSERY: “Over a period of about a year, the Jacaranda tree roots lifted the asphalt at the claimant’s property.” ($6,617.73)
- LAVOIE, MARLIN: “On 07-15-14 an inmate’s store order was lost at Maui Community Correctional Center.” ($71.99)
- LAVOIE, MARLIN: “On 08-06-13 an inmate’s food was lost at Maui Community Correctional Center.” ($32.50)
- R.G. (MINOR): “On 02-10-14 a student fell at Nahienaena Elementary School.” ($2,000.00)
- ROBELLO, ARNOLD: “On 03-31-15 a parked and unoccupied vehicle was damaged by a golf cart at Kula Hospital.” ($1,339.55)
- SKIPTON, A.E.: “On 12-31-14 the claimant’s property was lost at Maui Memorial Hospital.” ($42.00)
- TOYAMA, JAMES III: “On 10-07-14 an inmate’s personal property was lost between Maui Community Correctional Center and Halawa Correctional Facility.” ($90.29)