1. Which of the following is not running for mayor:
A. Charmaine Tavares
B. Princess Lehuanani Aquino
C. Nelson Waikiki
D. Sam Kalalau
E. Harold Miller
2. Jean Prandini is…
A. The executive director of the Maui Invasive Species Committee.
B. That crazy woman who unsuccessfully tried to live in a cave in Makena.
C. A 62-year-old Haleakala Shores resident who’s suing her homeowners association after they fined her $25 in 2004 for hanging an Ed Case campaign sign inside her apartment.
D. A veteran Maui News reporter who retired this month.
3. By far the best candidate for governor is…
A. Linda Lingle
B. Randall Iwase
C. William Aila, Jr.
4. During the July 10, 2006 mayoral candidates forum sponsored by the Wailuku Community Association, former Mayor James “Kimo” Apana at first couldn’t think of an important and lasting thing he did for Wailuku, then finally recalled how he’d gotten a retaining wall built on Mill Street.
5. The county’s anti-smoking law…
A. Bans smoking in restaurants but not bars.
B. Is the brainchild of Maui County Councilman Dain Kane, who is running for mayor this year.
C. Isn’t being enforced at a lot of establishments.
D. Is in any case trumped by a new state law that goes into effect early next year outlawing smoking in all public places.
E. All of the above.
F. A and C only.
6. Assuming funding doesn’t run out, state transportation officials say a Lahaina Bypass road running from Launiupoko to Ka’anapali will open in…
E. 2086, tops.
7. Ka’anapali 2020 is…
A. A long-planned 4,850-unit Westside residential development.
B. The official name for the new timeshare units currently being built at North Beach.
C. That new sunglasses shop they just opened at Whaler’s Village.
D. A new science fiction movie starring David Hasselhoff, Pamela Anderson and that one Baldwin brother you don’t really see anymore.
E. A and D only.
8. Had state Senate Bill 2133 passed, it would have…
A. Changed the state’s Procurement Code to allow officials to consider labor working conditions when buying shirts, uniforms and such.
B. Banned the use of ethyl mercury-laden Thimerosal in flu vaccines, which may cause autism in children.
C. Required that Superferry, Inc. complete a full environmental review before any state money is spent on the improvements to Kahului Harbor necessary to get the thing going.
D. Created individual school boards for each county in the state.
Answers: 1-D; 2-C; 3-D; 4-A; 5-E; 6-D; 7-A; 8-B.