1. Fill in the blank in the following quote, from University of Florida scientist Gustav Paulay: “If these _______ were alive today, Hawaii would be a very different place.”
2. On May 20, 1907, author Jack London arrived in Hawaii on a self-designed yacht after a month-long voyage from San Francisco. What was the name of the yacht?
Bonus: What was Jack London’s given name?
3. The parrot fish pictured above is being:
A. Attacked B. Mated C. Cleaned
4. What did former Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann call evidence of his “strong personality” in the May 16 Star-Advertiser?
1. “Land crabs” (specifically Geograpsus severnsi, a recently discovered, extinct species that researchers termed a “major predator”)
2. The Snark, John Griffith Chaney
4. His 42 percent “unfavorable” rating in a recent poll, the highest among prospective Democratic candidates for Sen. Dan Akaka’s soon-to-be-vacant seat