Slow Food Maui Presents Taste Education at Fall Harvest at Ali’i Kula Lavender
Ever wonder if locally grown fruits and vegetables taste fresher or if it’s more flavorful than produce imported from the mainland? Come to Ali`i Kula Lavender on Saturday, October 23 from 9 am – 2 pm to learn more about the food you eat and the sheer pleasure found in food Grown on Maui. Representatives from Slow Food Maui Convivium will present Taste Education – a tasting event that allows you to sample and compare locally grown produce to its imported versions. Cost $5.00 for adults and children 10 and older to sample, one time each, from seven tastings. The tastings feature Grown on Maui produce as well as Made on Maui jams & jellies. Tastings include Maui Cattle Company beef, Dave`s Ha`iku tomatoes, Keana`e bananas, salt, Maui Gold pineapple, Molokai sweet potato and Huelo coconut. All of the tastings, with the exception of the Maui grown coconut, will have a mainland taste comparison.
What is Slow Food: Slow Food is an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment. In the United States, members of Slow Food USA’s 200 conviviums celebrate the amazing bounty of food that is available and work to strengthen the connection between the food on our plates and the health of our planet. Our members are involved in activities such as:
- Raising public awareness, improving access and encouraging the enjoyment of foods that are local, seasonal and sustainably grown
- Caring for the land and protecting biodiversity for today’s communities and future generations
- Performing educational outreach within their communities and working with children in schools and through public programs
- Identifying, promoting and protecting fruits, vegetables, grains, animal breeds, wild foods and cooking traditions at risk of disappearance
- Advocating for farmers and artisans who grow, produce, market, prepare and serve wholesome food
- Promoting the celebration of food as a cornerstone of pleasure, culture and community
About Slow Food Maui: Slow Food Maui Convivium aligns with Slow Food USA to support locally grown food and cultural diversity and culinary practices for health, island food security and pleasure. To become a member email email@example.com.