For anyone watching the 2012 presidential election unfold, the drama between the four frontrunner candidates – Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich – has been nothing short of Shakespearean. Romney is the once-popular Massachusetts governor and still rich guy, saw the nomination as his for the taking, only to see young upstarts jump and in steal his thunder. Then there’s Paul, the cantankerous quasi-Libertarian Texas congressman (and only one of the four who still holds office) who hates foreign wars as much as the Federal Reserve. Santorum’s the pretty boy cartoon character, whose homosexual-, women- and abortion-bashing is scary, though not nearly as frightening as the supposed educated people who are voting for him. And then there’s Newt, who will say just about anything – including some bit of nonsense that contradicts another piece of nonsense he said five minutes before – to get elected.
Anyway, usually the Republicans have the whole nomination locked up by this point in the campaign, but new rules enacted a couple years ago have thrown the whole thing into chaos. And that means Hawaii has an actual chance to influence which of these rich, white men gets to take on President Barack Obama in November.
The caucuses will take place from 6pm to 8pm on Tuesday, Mar. 13. They’re open to any and registered voters in Maui County, aged 18 and up who bring a photo ID (gotta watch out for them undocumented immigrants!) and sign some sort of Republican Party form.
Here are the caucus sites, which are assigned by which state House District the prospective voter lives in:
• HD 8: Wailuku Elementary School Cafeteria, 355 S. High St., Wailuku
• HD 9: Grace Bible Church Overflow Room, 635 Hina St., Kahului
• HD 10: Lahaina Baptist Church Social Hall, 209 Shaw St. Lahaina
• HD 11: Kalama Hts. Retirement Center, 101 Kanani Rd, Floor 3, Kihei
• HD 12 & HD 13 Precincts 1, 2 and 3: Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center
Mulitipurpose Room, 91 Pukalani St. Pukalani
• HD 13, Precincts 5 & 6: Hana High School Cafeteria, 4111 Hana Highway, Hana
• HD 13, Precinct 7: Lanai High School Cafeteria, 555 Fraser Ave., Lanai City, Lanai
• HD 13, Pcts. 4, 8, 9, 10, & 11: Molokai Burgers Dining Room, 20 Kamehameha V Highway, Kaunakakai, Molokai
Those wishing more information should check out www.GOPHawaii.com/2012-presidential-caucus/
Photo: Thomas Nast/Wikimedia Commons